So onto the next batch of plums. I’ve had more success in the past with my pickles and chutneys so decided to play it safe for the next one.
- 5 plump garlic cloves
- 10cm piece of fresh root ginger
- 2 green chillies – deseeded if desired
- 1kg cooking apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 675g sweet onions – peeled and chopped
- 500g plums, stoned and chopped
- 360mls cider vinegar
- 300g white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
Using a food processor work the garlic, ginger and chillies into a paste
This smelt gorgeous after going in the food processor (maybe had been a bit heavy handed with the ginger)
Put all the ingredients except the sage in a preserving pan, and bring to the boil stirring until the sugar has dissolved (at this point I realised I really need a preserving pan as I battle to fit it all in my large pan)
Over a fairly low heat, simmer for 40 minutes until reduced and thickened. Stir in the sage and continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Pot in hot sterilised jar and cover with vinegar proof seals.
Secretly I’m optimistic about this one. Early testing makes me feel its a little bit feisty. Could be good with some cheese.
Recipe taken from Jams & Chutneys by Thane Prince